Richard Scothorne is a Founding Director of Rocket Science, based in the Edinburgh Office and specialising in Employability, Skills and Education. He is one of the most experienced employability and skills consultants in Scotland, working for a range of clients including Scottish Government, government agencies, local authorities and community projects. He has a strong focus on enhancing the performance of services for the public, involving review, evaluation, staff training and Partnership and Board development. He is an internationally experienced facilitator, leading conferences, workshops and partnership discussions. Before becoming a consultant Richard worked for Local Authorities in England and Scotland as a planner, policy officer and Head of Economic Development, and he was Scottish Director of British Shipbuilders Enterprise Ltd.
MA, Geography, St Catharine’s College, Cambridge.
MPhil, Urban Design and Regional Planning, University of Edinburgh.
- Employability and skills
- School-business engagement and school/work transitions
- Rural development
- Small business development
- Economic development
- Systems approaches to service design
- Strategy development and review
- Evaluation of programmes and projects
- Service design and enhancing performance
- Facilitation and Board development
- Managing service change processes
- Scottish Government – Evaluation of the Fair Start Scotland employability programme
- Scottish Government – Evaluation of the Health and Work Support Pilot
- Creative Scotland – Arts and Health research
- Work and Health Unit – Learning and Support Advisor for the Challenge Fund testing interventions those in employment with health conditions
- Dundee City Council – Employability Strategy development and review for the Local Employability Partnership
- St James Quarter, Edinburgh – Adviser on skills and employment
- Nesta – Mapping Covid disruption into sustainable growth industries
- Can’t keep him away from mountains, ice and high latitudes
- Soft spot for Newcastle United
- His bike