London Intern or Consultant 2018
We are a small specialist consultancy working across the UK from our offices in London, Edinburgh, and North East England. We are committed to making a difference to the lives of people and communities and we work with Governments, their agencies and the charity and voluntary sector to…
- Provide evidence and insight to design services, review performance and evaluate impact
- Develop systems, structures and partnerships to deliver great outcomes
- Design programmes to ensure services and support reach those that need it most
- Optimise social and best value through innovative and practical ways to make client’s money go further
- Helping organisations improve their impact and become more resilient.
We have a particular focus on employability, skills and education; economic development and regeneration; rural development; and health.
We have a long standing and highly regarded internship programme and we provide careful support and a structured experience of practical work to help interns develop their skills and experience. For more details on all aspects of our work and company go to http://rocketsciencelab.co.uk/ . We have just been accredited at Silver Standard for both Investors in People and Investors in Young People.
We are now looking for an intern or consultant to support our work in our London office. The internship is for 6 months from commencement with most of our interns going on to permanent positions as consultants within our organisation. The consultant position is a permanent position. We are recruiting these positions together and our offer to the successful applicant will be dependent on experience.
Research Internship – Job Description/Person Specification
Job Title: Research intern / Consultant
Purpose of Job: To support work on a range of projects in the areas of employability, health and education and other projects across Rocket Science’s specialist areas
Location: Rocket Science London office, but working throughout the UK as required
Accountable to: Associate Director
Time period: Commencement as soon as possible
Salary Scale: £20,400 – £25,000 per annum pro rata depending on experience
Key areas of responsibility
- To undertake research/policy work including: content and data analysis; analysing and interpreting policy, legislation, statistics and other information; identifying good and bad practice; and forecasting trends and future developments
- To assist with the development of ideas, products and services on behalf of Rocket Science and/or its clients and in the context, where appropriate, of different public-policy initiatives
- To contribute to the production of proposals, reports and briefings in appropriate forms which may include newsletters, articles, letters and mailings, in paper and electronic form
- To support the analysis of surveys and consultation exercises.
- To undertake other duties and tasks appropriate to the post as may be required from time to time.
Skills and experience
The person we are looking for is likely to have completed a relevant degree.
Candidates will be expected to have:
- An understanding of the public policy context in the UK
- Insights into employability, education, health or other related research
- Strong written communication: ability to clearly articulate a story by bringing together evidence from a range of sources (primary and secondary sources) about complex policy issues
- Data analysis skills including advanced Excel and graphical presentation of patterns and trends
- Effective oral communication including some of the following: group facilitation, presentation, contribution to meetings (internal and external), interviewing (telephone and face-to-face) and running focus groups
- Ability to work independently and initiate, plan and prioritise workloads and meet deadlines
- Ability to think creatively and offer ideas in designing our approach to tasks
- Ability to make positive contributions to internal and external teams
- Understanding of how to use IT effectively and appreciate the potential of IT-based solutions and tools to enhance our services to clients
- Some knowledge and/or experience of systems analysis would be helpful but not essential.
The way we work
Our values guide the way we work and the way we develop as a company. Rocket Science interns should demonstrate their commitment to these and behave in ways that are consistent with these:
- Being accessible and responsive to our clients’ needs
- Making a difference
- Finding creative and practical solutions
- Learning and sharing
- Achieving excellence by offering a professional and efficient service
- Working with clients rather than for clients
- Investing in our people
- Enjoying what we do.
Please apply by letter and CV by 1200 on Friday 14th September 2018 to:
Your letter should set out:
- What you will bring to the role and to Rocket Science
- The extent to which you meet the requirements set out in the Skills and Experience section
- The skills and experience that you would like to gain at Rocket Science.
Please include a recent essay or assignment – ideally on a topic relevant to our work.
If you want to discuss any aspect of this opportunity please contact Caroline Masundire 0141 253 6289 or on [email protected]
Dates for interviews with shortlisted candidates are yet to be arranged.