Senior Consultant 2018 Edinburgh
Job Title: Senior Consultant (Edinburgh)
Purpose of Job: To contribute to a range of assignments with a variety of clients across the UK, and supporting project management
Location: Rocket Science Edinburgh office, but working throughout the UK as required
Accountable to: Associate Director
Salary Scale: £28,000 – £38,000 (plus benefits and 25 days’ annual leave)
Overview of Rocket Science
Rocket Science is a highly regarded specialist consultancy with offices in Edinburgh, North East England and London. We focus on performance improvement of services for the public and work as independent advisers, researchers, evaluators, facilitators, trainers and mediators. We specialise in the fields of employability, health and social care, housing and homelessness, learning and skills, third sector development, and local economic development. Our services go beyond consultancy to include organisational and partnership development, as well as acting as evaluation partners and managing agents of a number of grant programmes. We have a particular commitment to helping disadvantaged individuals, families and communities enhance the quality of their lives. For more detail visit our website at www.rocketsciencelab.co.uk
Overview of the role
We are looking for an experienced consultant or someone with the equivalent skills to contribute to the work of the company across the UK, including contributing to high quality solutions that meet the needs of our clients and providing day to day management of projects.
This role would provide the successful applicant with:
- Consultancy and research experience at a senior level
- Experience managing research and consultancy projects across a range of policy areas and project types from evaluations to organisational capability building tasks
- Experience managing staff, including their day-to-day management and ongoing professional development
- Exposure to how a small company operates
- An understanding of organisations and policy throughout the UK by managing and contributing to projects for organisations across the UK.
This role is both suitable for someone with prior consultancy experience, or someone with relevant project and people management experience that is interested in understanding what working in the consultancy world is like.
Key areas of responsibility
- Carry out assignments to a high standard, on time and to budget.
- Project management and client liaison
- Contribute specialist skills and experience to contracts across the UK
- Support and develop existing and potential client relationships.
- Contribute to the growth and impact of the company across its UK markets.
- Manage and contribute to a range of projects including maintaining close communication with clients
- Lead or contribute to a range of consultancy projects and tasks, including surveys/consultations, face-to-face interviewing, focus group facilitation and analysis, obtaining and interpreting information from paper and electronic sources; monitoring and interpreting relevant policy; and identifying good practice.
- Produce proposals, reports and papers in appealing and appropriate forms which may include briefings, newsletters, articles, and blogs.
- Build and sustain Rocket Science customer relationships within public, private and third sector organisations as required.
- Maintain an awareness of policy issues in the UK (and where appropriate internationally) and keep up to date with policy and legislative changes which will influence Rocket Science’s areas of interest.
- Undertake any other duties and tasks appropriate to the post as may be required from time to time.
Skills and Experience
A Rocket Science Senior Consultant should be able to demonstrate:
- Experience of a responsible role in one or more of the private, public and/or voluntary/community sectors, involving project management.
- A successful track record and recognised expertise and innovation in one or more of the following themes:
- economic and enterprise development
- learning and skills
- regeneration and community engagement
- health and social care
- welfare and housing
- service performance and improvement
- other related areas.
- Ability to develop close and trusted working relationships with a wide range of current and potential clients.
- Ability in analysing, interpreting and responding to government policy.
- Ability to research, track, analyse and present information in ways that are appropriate to the task.
- Effective communication using a variety of methods such as facilitation, presentation, contribution to meetings (internal and external), interviews (telephone and face-to-face) and focus groups.
- Ability to work independently and initiate, plan and prioritise complex workloads and meet individual deadlines.
- Supervise, manage and lead others to plan and prioritise their workloads.
- Ability to think creatively and offer ideas in designing our approach to tasks.
- Ability to make positive contributions to internal and external teams.
- Understanding of how to use IT effectively and appreciate the potential of IT-based solutions and tools to enhance services to clients.
The way we work
Our values guide the way we work and the way we develop as a company. Rocket Science consultants should behave in ways that are consistent with these values.
- Integrity. One of our greatest values to clients is their confidence in our integrity in all our dealings with them and with those that they work with.
- Making a difference. We have a strong commitment to making a real difference in everything we do; helping clients and other practitioners to achieve their objectives and build their own capacity for excellence.
- Social justice. We work with clients who are committed to contributing to social justice throughout society by supporting the most disadvantaged people to have positive and satisfying life chances through guidance, information, sharing learning and creating access to sustainable and satisfying work.
- Learning and sharing. We are an innovative and creative company with a strong commitment to learning and developing new approaches and sharing these generously with our clients.
- Fun: We really enjoy working together and working with clients we respect. We know we work best when we enjoy what we do.
- Empowering: We are committed to creating the right conditions for transferring skills and knowledge within Rocket Science and to clients and communities, creating lasting value for our clients and developing our own people.
To apply for the job
To apply for the role, please submit a CV with covering letter explaining how your experience makes you suitable for this role and the contribution you could make to Rocket Science. These should be submitted to [email protected]
Please also include the names of two referees, including, if applicable, your most recent or last employer. Please note that referees will not be approached without your prior knowledge, and only following a successful application and interview.
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 21st of November at noon.
Short listed candidates will be informed by Friday 30th of November.
We plan to hold interviews for shortlisted candidates week commencing 10th December 2018.
If you would like an informal discussion about the role, please contact Clare Hammond and [email protected] or on 0131 226 4949
Rocket Science operates an equal opportunities policy and will appoint solely on the basis of the applicant’s ability to do the job in question. We do not discriminate with reference to age, gender, sexual orientation, race, colour, religion, marital status or disability, nor will such factors play any part in decisions on appointment or selection.
Rocket Science UK Ltd