Research Intern 2018 Edinburgh
Job Title: Research Intern (Edinburgh)
Purpose of Job: To support work on a range of projects in the areas of employability, health and education and other projects across Rocket Science’s specialist areas
Location: Rocket Science Edinburgh office, but working throughout the UK as required
Accountable to: Associate Director
Time period: 6 months
Salary Scale: £16,477.50 per annum pro rata
Key areas of responsibility To undertake research/policy work including: content and data analysis; analysing and interpreting policy, legislation, statistics and other information; identifying good and bad practice; and forecasting trends and future developments
- To undertake research/policy work including: content and data analysis; analysing and interpreting policy, legislation, statistics and other information; identifying good and bad practice; and forecasting trends and future developments
- To assist with the development of ideas, products and services on behalf of Rocket Science and/or its clients and in the context, where appropriate, of different public-policy initiatives
- To contribute to the production of proposals, reports and briefings in appropriate forms which may include newsletters, articles, letters and mailings, in paper and electronic form
- To support the analysis of surveys and consultation exercises.
- To undertake other duties and tasks appropriate to the post as may be required from time to time.
- To work with Supervisor to ensure that the internship will meet their specific development needs and ensure that there are opportunities put in place to meet these needs
Skills and experience
The person we are looking for is likely to have completed a relevant degree.
Candidates will be expected to have:
- An understanding of the public policy context in Scotland
- Insights into employability, education or health related research
- Strong written communication: ability to clearly articulate a story by bringing together evidence from a range of sources (primary and secondary sources) about complex policy issues
- Strong data analysis skills including advanced Excel and graphical presentation of patterns and trends
- Effective oral communication including some of the following: group facilitation, presentation, contribution to meetings (internal and external), interviewing (telephone and face-to-face) and running focus groups
- Ability to work independently and initiate, plan and prioritise workloads and meet deadlines
- Ability to think creatively and offer ideas in designing our approach to tasks
- Ability to make positive contributions to internal and external teams
- Understanding of how to use IT effectively and appreciate the potential of IT-based solutions and tools to enhance our services to clients
- Some knowledge and/or experience of systems analysis would be helpful but not essential.
The way we work
Our values guide the way we work and the way we develop as a company. Rocket Science interns should demonstrate their commitment to these and behave in ways that are consistent with these:
- Being accessible and responsive to our clients’ needs
- Making a difference
- Finding creative and practical solutions
- Learning and sharing
- Achieving excellence by offering a professional and efficient service
- Working with clients rather than for clients
- Investing in our people
- Enjoying what we do.
If you want to discuss any aspect of this opportunity please contact Clare Hammond on 0131 226 4949 or [email protected].uk
Please apply by letter and CV by 1200 on Friday 17th August 2018 to:
Your letter should set out:
- What you will bring to the internship and to Rocket Science
- The extent to which you meet the requirements set out in the Skills and Experience section
- The skills and experience that you would like to gain during your time with Rocket Science
Please include a recent essay or assignment – ideally on a topic relevant to our work.
If you want to discuss any aspect of this opportunity please contact Clare Hammond on 0131 226 4949 or [email protected]
We will hold interviews with shortlisted candidates early in the week of 27th of August 2018.
Rocket Science UK Ltd